Saturday, July 11, 2015

Creatively Yours

So...I had originally planned to sit down this weekend and crank out a post about pursuing literary agents and provide a great list of resources that I recently found. While that entry will definitely happen in the coming weeks, I've been inspired to write this morning about process. And more specifically, what happens after you've created that initial first draft of your short story/novella/full length novel, and you feel it's ready to be read. NOT by the general public just yet, but by a group of readers, an editor, your spouse--whomever.

It is in this stage, I have found, where the manuscript and it's author are at it's most fragile. A lot of blood, sweat, and tears have gone into crafting that draft-- and it is in that moment following a first read thru by someone else that all that hard work can be destroyed instantly. Suddenly there are a barrage of questions about plot, character, word choice, action....and everyone and their mother has an opinion about how the story should go. Criticism that ranges from helpful and constructive to  outrageous...the whole thing is a completely painful exercise for the writer no matter how positive the feedback.

But, I think we can all agree...feedback is important. If you have plans of publishing your manuscript, you better have it read beforehand by several reliable people. Helpful ideas do emerge during this process that will make your story better if you're willing to stop, listen, and be open to other alternatives in your work. To use a little real life metaphor....painting is a side hobby of mine, specifically working with oils. I painted constantly back in college, cranking out several new pieces a week-- sometimes starting 3 or 4 canvases every couple days. I lived with a very talented artist back then...my roommate, Becca. One night, after I showed her my latest work, thinking it was done, she kindly suggested that I let it dry a couple days and then keep working the piece- see what comes of it. Not that it wasn't interesting just as it was, but just to see if something more could...happen. At the time, I got a little defensive- I had just poured hours of effort into this work and she was suggesting that IT WASN'T FINISHED??? I went to bed that night frustrated, but when I woke up the next morning, I knew she was right. We have to question our work and push ourselves as artists to that next level. Lost Souls has gone through 3 major rewrites, (as of July 2015), all of them punctuated by reader review in between. While putting it out there, even for my closest friends to read, was challenging; it was the best thing I could do for myself and the book. Not all of the feedback was "OH MY GOD- IT'S AMAZING!!!! I'M OBSESSED!!!!"-- (there was a little of that which feels AWESOME)--but there were some big story altering things...like specifically when one of my readers straight up asked me, "Katie, what is this book about?" And I couldn't answer. That threw things into a tailspin right quick. But now I can answer that question- in one sentence no less- and I'm confident that this book has a clear beginning, middle, and end...something that sounds like a no brainer...but...isn't.

Yes, feedback is important- to a point. Like I said before, that time right after the first draft is when things are at their most delicate; but it is critical to get constructive notes before you can move on. But what about when you're 3 or 4...or 5 drafts in and feeling more confident? While my little painting story above illustrates that art is never truly finished, all authors get to a point where they feel that This. Is. It. I'm ready--let's have this baby. So you send it to an agent/editor/publisher...and magically, they decide this is the next BIG THING....except they want you to change your main character's back story, or rewrite that section where the guy gets stabbed in the throat....or this sweet gem I encountered last week-- "We really like your book, but we can only publish works 120k word count or less.... (Lost Souls falls around 128k).....can you shave off a bit to meet that requirement?" Cut to me sitting at Panera tearing at my hair while I figure out where to cut 8500 words. Remember, this is my baby we're talking about here-- I've just been asked does my baby really need her left hand? Or those pesky eyebrows? Pick a foot. I didn't know if it could be done, but after 5 hours and much teeth gnashing, I had a version of Lost Souls that fell right around 119k. And while I prefer the longer draft, I was content with the shorter version, and would be thrilled if it were published. I was willing to lose 8500 words if given the chance to have my darling shine in front of a larger audience.

That is to say, there are concessions that I am not willing to make. If a reader says to me-- "Oh, you should replace 'macerate' with 'annihilate'!" Or..."That doesn't sound like something a 12 year old would say" or..."that sex was really graphic"....While I promise I will give your note ample thought, you also have to respect that those are the words these people are saying in my head. Character voice. And as I've gone through my own personal creative journey, I've grown more confident...especially in my ability to say "Thanks, but no." That is my right as the author. Whether you think a line is inaccurate or not politically correct or whatever-- it's my choice...not yours. Creative control is never something you should give away lightly.

So...as I continue my own growth as a writer, I encourage you all to think about what you're willing to change/give up/walk away from in your work. Especially when posed with opportunity. Where do you draw the line between creative control and collaboration...or even, compromise? It's different for everyone and I would love to hear your thoughts.

Have a lovely weekend,

Bonne Chance

No comments:

Post a Comment